Learn About Office Plus Business Centre
We’ve Got The Service
And We Treat You Better!
From left to right: John Haynsworth IV, Lynn Haynsworth,
Charles Haynsworth III, Charles Haynsworth IV
Office Plus Business Centre was first established in 1937, by Charles Haynsworth Sr., as an underwood typewriter and adding machine sales and service dealer called Ace Office Supply. Shortly after the establishment, office supplies and office furniture were added, making it a complete supply as well as office machine dealer.
In 1941, the company moved to a larger headquarters in the heart of downtown Danville. This new building was located at 520 Main St. in the old arcade building. Due to larger space and growing business, the machine department expanded to include not only typewriters and adding machines but also duplicators, memographs, and bookkeeping machines. In addition to the City of Danville, the firm was covering Pittsylvania, Halifax, Mecklenburg, and Charlotte Counties in south central Virginia.
In approximately 1946, another office supply and machine business was established in Martinsville, Virginia, a small but highly industrialized town 30 miles west of Danville. In the early fifties, another location was opened in Lynchburg, Virginia.
During this period, the company was led by its founder and owner Charles R. Haynsworth Sr. Charles came to Danville upon completion of his textile engineering degree to accept a position at Dan River Mills Inc. in 1928. In 1947, his son Charles R. Haynsworth Jr. came into the firm and, in 1955 after completion of college and military, William H. Haynsworth entered the business. Due to ill health by the founder, the Lynchburg business was terminated and upon his death in 1959, Martinsville Office Supply was sold.
In 1969, the principals of the business were able to purchase an ideal tract of land and erect a 16,000-square-foot building with abundant parking for personnel and customers. This building was located at 800 Memorial Dr. and is still the current location for the business. During this transition time, the name was changed to Haynsworth’s to honor the founder of the business. In 1977, the third generation of Haynsworths, Charles Haynsworth III, joined the business with an active interest in machine sales. He has had training in computers and was heading the sales effort in micro-computers for business use. He was also active in the sales of machines and supplies.
In August of 1996, the owners of Haynsworth’s decided to renovate the building to keep up with the changing styles of the new retail stores. The renovation was started in the spring of 1997 and the store remained open for business until it was completed. The name was officially changed to Office Plus Business Centre in July of 1997 and the grand opening was held in August of the same year.
Office Plus Business Centre is still a family-owned business. We now feature over 30,000 items for next-day delivery from 15 distribution centers across the country. Our affiliation with the largest buying group gives us the ability to sell at extremely low prices. We are a local dealer of Sharp Copiers. We offer same-day service with a certified staff of factory-trained Sharp technicians for the copiers that we sell. This firm has been in business for over 70 years and will continue to strive to give our customers the best prices and best service available.